So I am back in Brisbane and I have mixed feelings about being here. On the one hand I am extremely excited because I am going to meet my new neice/nephew (very soon I hope). On the other hand I am very sad because this is technically my first visit to Brisbane...that is, I realise I now live in Sydney and I will be returning home in just under three weeks. Now, I know that sounds like a long time, but considering that I don't have any plans to come back until Christmas it seems very significant.
It was just the other day that I realised that the most time I have spent apart from my family is maybe a couple of weeks on my honeymoon. Apart from that I have been able to see them at least once a week over a meal, or more recently as we moved into the neighbourhood, at least once every other day. I'm beginning to realise the magnitude of this move to Sydney. No more Sunday lunches. No more mum saying "do you want to stay for tea?" No more having Dean drop in on his way home just to say hello. No more hands on assistance from my very handy father and brother. No more running into the grandparents at mums. No more invites to "tag-along" as the neice or nephew experiences something new. No more sneaky chocolates shared with my sister. No more sweet gentle kisses from Ever, no more rough 'n' tumble moments between Steve and Ben. And those are just the things I am going to miss about my actual family, never mind the loving church community and cherished friends we have left behind.
So I am feeling torn. I am excited to be here but that excitement is being poisoned as the clocks ticks down to the next lot of goodbyes. I feel as though I am constantly eating strawberry sour straps, things seem so sweet yet they are sour at the same time! (Love them by the way :P)
It's good to have you back Chels! I was wondering why the sun was extra bright today...
ReplyDeleteSort of...
Excellent blog! It's super cool to be able to catch up with you guys this way.
Your adventure is really awesome. It's like your touring with a band. Can totally relate to the strawberry sour straps from when I first moved up here. Trust me when I say that it gets a heap easier with time. Sort of. Bittersweet, as you say. :)
Sniff sniff.
ReplyDeleteI also know the feeling, although I was fortunate in that I was moving with my immediate family, but leaving behind 2 sets of hands on grandparents and cousins and friends, and a way of life, but I was soooo super excited about moving to AUSTRALIA. It seemed like such a long way away from my little town in NZ, and full of opportunity. It was definitely a strawberry sour strap moment!
ReplyDeleteWe will miss seeing you around, thank you for this blog! And it does get better!! (going on 11 years here, and look what I have been blessed with).
Oh Chels, I too feel that pain! Saying good bye each time is hard. Even for us left behind. I agree with Krystal that its great you have started this blog. I can't wait to hear more of what you guys are doing and where God is leading. You will soon find a loving church family down there and your family (both related and church) will all be praying for you guys down there. You are never far from our hearts!
ReplyDelete